Sunday, April 15, 2018

Wisconsin April Storm

Near whiteout conditions outside.  I can only faintly see an outline of the ridge across the River Kickapoo.  We've had considerable rain, sleet, snow and hail the past couple days.  I've had the luxury of watching from inside my friends' heated home.  The pasture between their backyard and the river had filled up with water and, despite the weather, flocks of birds including some gulls turned out to feed on escaping worms and other insects.  Today that impromptu lake is frozen over and covered with snow.

I worked until dark in the garden Thursday.  I have a couple spots covered with plastic so I can still work them when the weather relents.  That's if the 30-40 mph wind yesterday didn't move them for me.  The garden area is about a 1/4 mile down from the ridge top with a spruce plantation sheltering its North side and surrounded on the rest by small trees and tall brush so it is fairly sheltered.

I've been fretting about water so I also set up a plastic cistern in the pit I started for the in-ground greenhouse.  I've had two small containers in the van meaning to bring some spring water out for watering but I forget each time.  Still don't have my head on straight after the stress of the move and recent legal struggles (civil, not criminal).  Things are still unsettled and my resilience has really been tested.  I'm here typing and that says a lot.  Thankfully I've been helped out by friends.

I've got several more beds dug and on April 11th I started planting potatoes.  I got in a few small purple peruvians I successfully saved from last year and 5 lbs each of Peter Wilcox and French Fingerling.  I also planted small test beds of some kale seeds from 2016 and radishes from 2007 and 2012. 

I also planted some sprouting garlic that made it through the winter in my root bin.  Darn stuff wanted to grow so I planted it (it was rubbery but it could still be cooked with).  I know they say that it doesn't work to plant in the Spring up here but we'll see what happens.  Should get some greens anyway.  Also planted some garlic bulbils from a few garlic plants that got their scapes left on last year.  Never tried it. 

More spinach was sown as well as my first planting of turnips.  That may be my first ever in my life planting of turnips.  Only about 5' of 40" bed of the purple top variety.

As of Thursday I had over 150' of 40" wide beds worked and planted.  Thats maybe 10% of what I hope to get done this Spring.  Help would be nice but even cheap labor is expensive considering the meager return on farming low-tech on such a small scale.  Might try trading seed potato for labor.  Had some back issues recently but gardening seems to ease it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment