Sunday, April 29, 2018

Digging

Digging.  Seems to be all I do anymore these days. 

I did take a couple of days away from the garden to have a sale @ Greenville.  Needed to make headway on that mess and refill the coffer a little.

Radishes have been up for about a week.  Turnips have also sprouted.  And peas finally poked through as of Thursday.  Its a late start.  I really look forward to eating from the garden.

Even after several days of dry warm weather, after the brush is clear and the sod lifted, the soil is still pretty wet in places.  I keep adding beds downhill and have started some in a clearer spot where the soil is much drier.  Rain is predicted for middle of the week so I'll spend the next few days breaking ground and planting.  Also need to set up more ways to catch the rain.

In one downhill bed I dug out a stump and the hole filled with groundwater.  So I scooped it and it filled.  So I excavated a little and it continues to fill.  We live in an area with karst topography so, even as high up on the ridge as I am, one can find seasonal seep springs.  I've bailed out a few buckets so far over two days and it refills each time.  It does refill slow and I'm going to presume it is seasonal but, for now, its nice to have a water source handy to keep the seedlings watered.

No comments:

Post a Comment