Saturday, April 7, 2018

blog entry from Thursday 5 April 2018


(blog from Thursday 5 April 2018)
On Tuesday we got the 4+ inches of snow they forecast. And the cold weather.  Pretty out there but it looks and feels like winter. I waited it out at a friend's empty house out by Valley. Snow in the sunny spots has melted and I'm sure the area around the black plastic I laid down in Rolling Ground on Sunday will be snow free being on a South slope.

There were a few brief moments of high wind yesterday. Rolling Ground where I finally decided I would be doing the bulk of my market gardening is right up on the ridge top. My site is set down and sheltered a bit. I laid down a lot of metal pipes I had brought out for projects on the plastic . We'll see. The plan is to go there soon, pull back the plastic and see if the sod can be busted. In some cases there was not a lot of sod so it will be getting through roots and maybe turning. Then I'll put the plastic back to get the soil warming below the sod. If its workable I'll put in some more peas and maybe a sheltered bed of radishes. I do have more storm windows for row covers out there. Forecast the next few days is for cooler weather, nights in the teens. Maybe snow again Saturday.

Got the first seed potato order shipped out to Sisseton, SD yesterday. After quite a run around I gave up on shippingeasy.com and went with endicia. Quick and painless and they do offer commercial rates so its cheaper than the post office. Found out afterwards that its owned by stamps.com. There was this big plan to sell seed potatoes and seeds online.  I decided to start an etsy store but have not sat down to stock it yet.  I've had two potato sales on craigslist and zero on local facebook.

No comments:

Post a Comment